PIC (PigImprovementCompany) meat-type pig hybrid. It is actively bred on industrial pig farms around the world.
Background: PigImprovementCompany is the world’s largest genetic company, founded in 1962 in the UK as a subsidiary of Genusplc, a leader in biotechnology. It combines quantitative analysis with advanced biotechnology to develop breeding stock, helping pig farms to maximize their profits. PIC genotypes were created at the request of the market for pigs with strong immunity, improved meat productivity.
The main product of the company:
- parent hybrid pigs F1: (Camborough) Camborough 22; Camborough 23, Camborough 24, Camborough 29;
- boars of terminal lines: PIC280, PIC337, PIC327, PIC8,0, PIC359, PIC380, PIC362, PIC410, PIC408G / 408M.
Exterior and performance:
Camboriu pigs are usually white, but in rare cases may show the characteristics of certain breeds that were involved in the cross.
- high fertility. The highest fertility rate per sow per farrow ranges from 15 to 20 piglets, while on average it is from 10 to 15 piglets;
- high maternal qualities and indicators of milk yield;
- strong immunity;
- high yield of meat with low fat content in the carcass.
As for terminal line boars, their productivity depends on the parent genotype involved in creating the hybrid. The most popular hybrids are:
PIC 337 – is a hybrid chosen by industrial pig farms specializing in the production of top quality pork with exceptional lean meat yield and excellent feed conversion at heavy weight. Advantages:
- increased yield of lean meat;
- achievement of carcass weight in a shorter time;
- excellent feed conversion;
- excellent overall carcass yield.
PIC 800 — is a Durk-based genotype with excellent meat quality and basic bran yield at the lowest cost of production. Pros of the hybrid:
- high value of carcass;
- marketable livestock;
- excellent meat qualities.
PIC 410 — is a genotype that conquers with the strength of immunity and meat productivity. Advantages:
- strong immunity;
- harmonious exterior;
- excellent indicators of meat and fattening productivity.
PIC 408 — is a genotype that manufacturers should look out for if they want to improve the overall production economy. Pros of the hybrid:
- high rates of average daily gains;
- homogeneity of the sow’s nest;
- high yield of young animals.
PIC 327 — is a genotype that emphasizes high feed conversion and lean meat yield. Advantages of the hybrid:
- high carcass weight with lean meat yield;
- effective feed conversion;
- fast growth.